EEMGS is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
EEMGS may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from 8th June 2018.
What we collect
EEMGS collects information when:
- The European Environmental Mutagenesis and Genomics Society is an umbrella organisation of national scientific societies. The societies may supply the EEMGS with membership information which is used to create and maintain the EEMGS membership lists. The EEMGS is not responsible for the privacy arrangements made by the national societies.
- The EEMGS has categories of direct membership, which can be applied for online. The online form sequence collects your name, contact details and email address. Depending on the category of membership, professional information can be requested. Access to this information is restricted to members of the EEMGS Committee.
- You are booking a place at an event run by the EEMGS. In this case we collect information such as your name, address and email address, arrival, departure and dietary requirements as well as additional information to allow us to run the event and provide you with the services required. This information may be subject to a seperate data privacy statement and policy.
- You are using a contact form, where we ask for your name, email and phone number. This information is stored briefly while it is converted into an email message which is then sent.
- You visit the site and we use Google Analytics to track your path through the site. This information is aggregated and presented to us in a way that allows us to improve the site, but we cannot identify a particular user. You can prevent us from tracking you, see our Cookies page.
What we do with the information we gather
For members, we require the information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- Internal record keeping
- To provide you with privileged access to certain parts of the website. For example, to allow you to maintain your membership information and see what we hold about you.
- To provide you with special member rates for our events. Payments for events are handled by SagePay and Stripe, and we do not store any credit/debit card information. The forms are preloaded with the information we hold for you to prevent you having to enter it again. The EEMGS is not responsible for information stored on the SagePay and Stripe servers.
- We may periodically send emails which contain news and information about the society and its events. You can always opt out from receiving these emails by visiting the Membership Profile page the website.
For users booking places at events, we need the information to:
- allow us to process your booking
- notify you in the case of any changes
- provide you with the ability to obtain a certificate.
We use Google Analytics to measure and improve the performance and content of the site and to determine what is or is not regularly visited.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Controlling your personal information
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
Members can always see and modify the information that EEMGS holds for you.
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
The GDPR comes into force in May 2018, and requires that we provide you with the following information.
The GDPR requires us to state the lawful basis for the processing activity that we perform. Membership of a national group provides an implicit contract between the member and that national group. In turn, the national group is a member of the EEMGS, who acquires your information as part of that arrangement. The EEMGS provides membership services for each member.
The GDPR requires that we provide you with the identity of the ‘Data Controller’, who determines the purposes and means of processing personal data. For the EEMGS, the data controller is the EEMGS Executive who can be contacted via EEMGS Administrator.
The ‘Processor’ is responsible for processing personal data on behalf of a controller. For the EEMGS, this is Affinity Events Ltd.
Lead data protection supervisory authority
The EEMGS operates in most European countries but the data and processing activity is done in the United Kingdom. The EEMGS opts to use the UK’s Information Commissioner’s Office as its lead data protection supervisory authority.